Job Vacancy: Junior Tech Support
Company: Application Solutions (Safety and Security) Ltd.
Come and join the UK’s largest VA manufacturer.
Working in Lewes, you can enjoy a South Coast life in vibrant Brighton, while helping ASL and customers do business together. With a mixed and exciting role, categorising, recording, investigating and resolving customer enquiries, we need someone who can thrive on a variety of tasks and has an eye for detail in written work as well as the ability to understand and meet needs quickly and efficiently.
Purpose of Role:
The role of the Junior System Support Engineer is to respond to the customer Help Line and to categorise, record, investigate, resolve and track issues from report to resolution.
The Junior System Support Engineer shall report to the Technical Support Services Manager with working hours between either 08:00 – 16:30 or 09:00 – 17:30 based on business requirement.
Following technical support process the role has the specific responsibilities to:
- Provide telephone and email support by supplying solutions and advice for incidents, request, changes and problems
- Respond to maintenance contract customers promptly to satisfy service level agreements
- Categorise, record, and track reported issues until a solution is delivered
- Investigate and record in detail the steps taken during the investigation and record in the helpdesk
- Log time against support cases and report against support allowance for customers
- Generate knowledgebase articles based on problem symptoms and resolutions
- Analyse problems reported directly from customers and/or from the maintenance organisation in relation to field returns to identify common failure modes
- Liaise with Engineering where necessary following escalation paths to resolve more complex issues
- Provide on-site support to Control System and PA/VA Systems maintenance and system upgrades generating site visit reports upon completion
- Produce Risk Assessments and Method Statements when required
- Perform routine maintenance checks on the operation of remote systems.
- Perform routine maintenance checks on the operation of on-site reference systems.
- Maintain technical competence – identify training and tool requirements and ensuring they are delivered
- Assist systems project delivery where necessary to maintain technical competence
- Assist the Technical Support Services Manager with department administration activities
- Identify commercial requirements for works or hardware that are not included in maintenance contracts (this includes flagging cases that are not covered by a contract and have not been sold directly by us or an approved integrator) to the Technical Support Services Manager
- Highlight commercial opportunities to the sales department
- Carry out any other duties as reasonably requested by the Technical Support Services Manager, Systems Manager and Directors
It is expected that the Junior System Support Engineer will perform out of hours support on a rota basis
Skills & Attributes:
The successful candidate will:
- Be a team player, comfortable working in a close-knit team and building strong professional relationships.
- Have good communication skills and be comfortable working with all levels of the organisation
- Have strong documentation skills
- Have an interest in leading edge control system and telecommunications technology.
- Ability to work within agreed timescales and have strong commercial awareness
- Want to be working in an environment where their colleagues depend upon him or her to deliver.
- Be able to work independently making decisions, problem solving and driving issues to a conclusion.
- Be able to quickly adapt to new challenges
- Above all have strong technical skills and a desire to develop these.
- On occasion be available to travel to customer sites in Europe and internationally
Knowledge & Experience:
Candidates will be able to offer several (ideally all) of the following skills/experience:
- Linux fundamentals – installation (including automated/unattended installation) and troubleshooting. Ideally OpenSUSE or SLES experience.
- Windows fundamentals – installation and troubleshooting of Windows XP and 7
- TCP/IP networking – familiar with routing, SSH, remote desktop/VNC, DNS, PXE and use of network analysis tools like Wireshark.
- VOIP – familiar with telecommunication systems
- Technical support via telephone/email/remote access
- Microsoft Office
Education & Qualifications:
- Good degree in a relevant subject
If you are interested in this role, please send your CV to Annette Brown, HR Manager, [email protected]