Job Vacancy: Systems Support Engineer
Company: Application Solutions (Safety and Security) Ltd.
Come and join the UK’s largest VA manufacturer.
Working in Lewes, you can enjoy a South Coast life in vibrant Brighton, you will be working on our busy technical support help desk providing solutions to customers. We need someone with good communication skills and a technical background.
Purpose of Role:
The overall responsibility of the Systems Support Engineer is to respond to the customer Help Line and to categorise, record, investigate, resolve and track issues from report to solution.
- Provide telephone and email support by supplying solutions and advice for incidents, requests, changes and problems.
- Respond to maintenance contract customers promptly to satisfy service level agreements.
- Categorise, record and track reported issues until a solution is delivered;
- Investigate and record in detail the steps taken during the investigation and record in the helpdesk.
- Log time against support cases and report against support allowance for customers.
- Generate knowledgebase articles on problems, symptoms and resolutions.
- Analyse problems reported directly from customers and/or from the maintenance organization in relation to field returns to identify common failure modes.
- Liaise with Engineering where necessary following escalation paths to resolve more complex issues.
- Interface with the Project Managers and technical Support Services manager to provide estimates for iVENCS and PA/VA systems Configuration and Testing effort in support of quotations.
- Specify, build and maintain iVENCS and PA/VA reference systems.
- Provide on-site support to iVENCS and PA/VA Systems maintenance and system upgrades generating site visit reports upon completion.
- Produce Risk Assessments and Method Statements when required.
- Perform routine maintenance checks on the operation of remote systems.
- Perform routine maintenance checks on the operation of on-site reference systems.
- Generate monthly reports for maintenance contracts.
- Maintain technical competence – identify training and tool requirements and ensuring they are delivered.
- Assist systems project delivery where necessary to maintain technical competence.
- Assist the Technical Support Services Manager with department administration activities.
- Identify commercial requirements for works or hardware that are not included in the maintenance contracts (this includes flagging cases that are not covered by the contract and have not been sold directly by us or an approved integrator) to the Technical Support Services Manager.
- Highlight commercial opportunities to the sales department.
- Carry out any other duties as reasonably requested by the Technical Support Services Manager, Head of Technical Support and Directors.
- It is expected that the Systems Support Engineer will perform out of hours support on rota basis.
Skills & Attributes:
The successful candidate will:
- Be a team player, comfortable working in a close-knit team and building strong professional relationships;
- Have good communication skills and be comfortable working with all levels of the organization;
- Have very strong documentation and report writing skills;
- Have an interest in leading edge control system and telecommunications technology;
- Ability to work within agreed timescales and have strong commercial awareness;
- Want to be working in an environment where their colleagues depend upon him or her to deliver;
- Be able to work independently making decisions, problem solving and driving issues to a conclusion;
- Be able to quickly adapt to new challenges;
- Above all have strong technical skills and a desire to develop these;
- Ability to work off-site, closely with clients;
- Be able to travel to customer sites in the UK and abroad;
Knowledge & Experience:
Candidates will be able to offer several (ideally all) of the following skills/experience:
- Working with audio (amplifiers, audio routers, speakers, microphones, etc)
- TCP/IP networking – familiar with configuring and troubleshooting IP networks
- Linux fundamentals – configuration and troubleshooting (desirable)
- Windows fundamentals – configuration and troubleshooting (desirable)
- Experience of site installation and commissioning of hardware in a life safety environment
- Cable & Rack wiring experience
- System Testing/Product qualification (desirable)
- Soldering and electronics
- Familiar with version control systems and procedures. Evidence of disciplined approach to configuration;
- Experience of working in a helpdesk environment;
- Some familiarity with production of Technical and User Documentation;
- Microsoft Office
Education & Qualifications:
- Good degree in Engineering or a relevant subject or a proven track record
£25k – £35k depending on experience.
If you are interested in this role, please send your CV to Annette Brown, HR Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org