Job Vacancy: Technical Trainer/Author
Company: Application Solutions (Safety and Security) Ltd.
Come and join the UK’s largest VA manufacturer.
Working in Lewes, you can enjoy a South Coast life in vibrant Brighton. We are looking for a bright individual to be responsible for explaining ASL products to our customers. We need someone who can thrive on a variety of tasks and has an eye for detail in written work as well as the ability to understand and meet needs quickly and efficiently.
Purpose of Role:
The Technical Trainer/Author is responsible for writing, reviewing, maintaining and managing clear, engaging and coherent technical content for ASL products, building that content into training packages and then delivering the training.
The material will include written, web-based and video content. It covers guides and datasheets as well as operation, installation, configuration and technical instruction manuals. It also includes contributions to publications such as newsletters and product updates covering anything product or technology related.
They will deliver courses to audiences that include operators, installers, technical specialists and anyone who needs to stay informed of ASL products and systems, their application, technology and capability. The role includes creating, organising and presenting the material in such a way that it easily accessible to the many audiences.
- Work with the product management and development teams to anticipate market needs for training and documentation around new products and features
- Work with the Systems Engineers, Support staff and Programme Managers to find where customers are understanding-limited and where specific documentation and course development will save time and cost
- Plan, develop, organise, write and edit written materials including datasheets, operational procedures, manuals, product training content, knowledge-based articles and guides
- Script, shoot and edit video and audio content for items more easily and more effectively explained in these forms
- Use content to build training courses which are then delivered by themselves and others
- Plan, develop and run a full training schedule covering the range of ASL products
- Test the material with users to ensure its effectiveness
- Maintain a library of technical terminology as well as technical and competitor documentation sourced both internally and externally
- Maintain continuity of design, writing and presentation styles
- Manage updates and revisions to all content
- Ensure training courses meet continuous professional development (CPD) rules
Skills & Attributes:
The successful candidate will:
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Possess an ability to take complex issues and break them down into a series of simple concepts
- Possess an ability to take complex processes and break them down into a series of simple steps
- Be able to draw explanatory diagrams of concepts and of physical items
- Be able to write in formal as well as informal styles alongside explanatory and procedural styles for multiple audiences
- Pay attention to detail and ensure accuracy and completeness of the content they produce
- Be proficient with MS Office tools and willing to learn MS Publisher
- Be a team player, comfortable working in a wide team and building strong professional relationships
- Be able to work to agreed timescales
- Be able to work independently making decisions, problem solving and driving issues to a conclusion
- Be able to develop courses meeting professional requirements
- Be prepared to travel nationally and internationally to deliver training
Knowledge & Experience:
Have proven experience working in a technical position, creating content and delivering training
Education & Qualifications:
A good degree in a relevant subject would be useful but practical experience of training and technical writing will be highly valued
£30k to £40k depending on experience
If you are interested in this role, please send your CV to Annette Brown, HR Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org